Saturday, December 1, 2007

Profane Bumper Stickers

What is it with the bumper stickers, t-shirts, truck decals and such that are obscene? You have seen them. You know what I am talking about. Everywhere you look a particular brand of truck "su**s", or "s**t" happens. What have we become? If I see the word a** (be it smart, cheap or dumb) on one more shirt I may scream.

But what is at least as troubling as the profaning of our culture, is the acceptance of it but the rest of us. We look the other way. We shake our heads in disgust. But, we don't do or say anything. It is time that we started speaking up when we are offended. Take a stand when someone uses inappropriate language in your home, workplace or school. Begin to make a difference.

Think about the children around you. They cannot attend a movie where that language is used, but it is on the bumper of the car in front of you at the traffic light. How do you explain "f*** you" to an eight year old?

Here's an idea: Do not laugh the next time someone tells a joke with offensive language. Encourage your local businesses to not sell the decals, signs, shirts and other items with obscene language. Then, begin to improve your vocabulary and encourage others to improve theirs. There are much better words, more colorful and cultured, to say the same sorts of things.

I don't want to be a redneck, if being a redneck means that coarse and profane talk become funny to me. I don't want to live in a redneck society if it means that I am constantly, and without warning, subjected to profanity of any type.

I can't change the whole world, but I can do something about my part of it.

No comments: