Thursday, November 29, 2007

My Favorite Christmas Movies

Before I begin with my list of favorite Christmas movies and their explanations, let me offer a few disclaimers.
  1. These are my favorite movies. I do not believe that these are the best movies for Christmas. I simply mean that these are the movies that bring pleasure to me and my family each year.
  2. This is not an exhaustive list of Christmas movies. If you want that list try http://www.auburn.edu/~vestmon/christmas_movie.html, or http://www.christiananswers.net/christmas/movies-christmas.html. I have a hunch that these are not complete lists either, but between them you should get a lot of movie ideas. I have not seen every Christmas movie ever made. Therefore, my favorites are limited by my frame of reference.
  3. I have avoided listing some films that may in other ways be very entertaining, even excellent, but violate what I think of as the Christmas spirit. For that reason, movies like Die Hard, Bad Santa, and Scrooged are all excluded.
  4. Unfortunately, the list is skewed to more recent movie releases. I believe there are two reasons for this. First of all, I am more familiar with the more recent titles. It is easier to watch the 'newer' movies as they come out than to watch all the movies that are already available. Secondly, there are more Christmas movies released now than in past years.
  5. Finally, this list is about Christmas movies, not holiday movies. This means that Christmas needs to be a 'character' or a major theme in the film.

So, here is the list in no particular order:

  • Millions. This film about the two boys who found a lot of money is a joy and still a surprise. Be sure to see this one if you haven't already. In fact, move it to the top of your list. You will not be sorry.
  • It's a Wonderful Life. I still cry when I watch this classic. I am still amazed at the emotional highs and lows, how extreme they get, and how efficiently we are moved from one to the other.
  • National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. The Griswold family has one problem after another while trying to celebrate a traditional Christmas. There is just enough truth to keep us interested and just enough exaggeration to make us laugh.
  • A Christmas Story. The perfect memory of every child from any generation. Didn't we all want gifts that were not good for us? Didn't we all secretly wish harm to our enemies? Isn't this a great way to remember it?
  • White Christmas. Singing, dancing, soldiers and Christmas, if that will not pull at your heartstrings, what will. And the color is amazing.
  • The Bishop's Wife. Which is creepier, the Bishop's wife falling for an angel, or the angel falling for the Bishop's wife. Calmer heads prevail and everyone learns a good lesson. Don't miss this one, but skip the re-make, The Preacher's Wife.
  • Holiday Inn. More singing and dancing and romantic hijinks. A year round inn devoted to holidays and a movie about the inn. It's a winner.
  • Miracle on 34th Street. If you never believed, you will after watching this. If you did, but now you don't, this will give you hope. If you are not sure, watch it for fun.
  • Elf. What if one of the elves was not really an elf? What if that adult, human-sized elf was turned loose in a jaded world? Hilarity ensues. And a good time is had by all.
  • Meet Me in St Louis. One more singing and dancing movie. This one a bittersweet tale of familial love and stability all thrown askew with turmoil. Will they go or will they stay?

No comments: