Christmas is too important to be ignored. It is too significant for Christians, and has become a behemoth in our society that calls us to respond in loving and godly ways.
So, here are some thoughts that have helped me. Maybe they will help you as well.
- Christmas is a significant day in the Christian year. It is not Easter, but without the celebration of the Advent and coming of Christ at Christmas we would not have an Easter to celebrate. We should celebrate the coming of Immanuel, our Messiah.
- The gift-giving of Christmas, although often out-of-control, is a good practice to remind us of the gift that God gave us, his Son.
- The lights and decorations that are everywhere should remind us of the joy of the coming of new life and the Advent of the light of the world.
- Sharing greetings with others at Christmas time is a perfect way to share your faith with someone else. Do not give in to the pressure to eliminate Christ from your celebration. Boldly share what God has done for you.
- The entire celebration of Christmas, even when taken to its most extreme, is evidence that the world wants to believe. People all around you want to celebrate. They want to have Santa- a benevolent, miraculous gift-giver, to be real. They want a Father God and the gift of His Son. Use and meet these desires in your family Christmas celebration.
- People are more open to the work of God at Christmas than at any other time of the year. Do not let these seekers down. Be loving, gentle and joyous as you celebrate this year.
Whether we like it or not, Christmas is here. Ready or not, someone needs to hear. I plan to be sharing this holiday season. How about you?