Monday, October 15, 2007

The Prosperity Gospel

I have not been everywhere. I have not seen everything. But I have been in some homes with dirt floors, no water or plumbing and no electricity in Africa. I have befriended service workers in the Caribbean who work 60-80 weeks for $100 a month. I have been in homes in Appalachia that you cannot drive to. People live in places where services that I take for granted are not even considered. I have met disciples of Jesus in all of these situations. People with such faith that I feel like a 'doubting Thomas' live in conditions that I would not leave my dog in. These people are poor and they love Jesus.

There are people in my church who live from paycheck to paycheck. They make decisions to pay the rent or to buy their medicine. They do not eat out or go to movies. When they make contributions to the church, or other ministries, it is truly a sacrifice for them. They love Jesus and they struggle to get by.

There are people in many parts of the world who are not only destitute, but they are in danger for their faith. These faithful brothers and sisters in Christ are often arrested, tortured and executed for their faith in Christ. These martyrs love Jesus and prosperity is not even an issue for them.

I have not met the most destitute people in America, in the Caribbean, or in Africa. But I have seen some preachers on television that make me made as anything. I am fed up with preachers who try to justify their extravagant lives and lifestyles by playing on the needs and concerns of innocent, maybe naive, Christians. The idea that God wants me to be rich is at least preposterous and possibly heretical. If God's will was for all Christians to be wealthy there would not be faithful, committed servants of his living in shacks with dirt floors. Surely God would bless the most faithful and the most hurting first.

These preachers, I will not name them because you know who they are (if you do not turn on your Christian television station), corrupt the word and the work of God. They will make more money if they can convince their viewers that God will bless everyone if we just send in some money and have enough faith. So a supposed evangelist is stealing money under false pretenses and challenging the faith of anyone who does not go along with this scheme.

This is a travesty that we have allowed for too long. So do this:
  1. Do not watch or support ministers who proclaim a 'prosperity' message. Please continue to participate in every way in the ministries of those who are truly ministering to the spiritual (and physical) needs of viewers.
  2. Ask your local television and radio outlets to not support these 'ministries'. Write letters and emails, make calls to request change.
  3. Pray for hurting and persecuted Christians all over the world. Find ways to share your resources, time and prayers with those who are in need.
  4. Learn to be content with your own possessions and income. God has blessed you. He will continue to take care of you.

No comments: