Monday, October 8, 2007

Who Am I?

My story of faith is not very dramatic. There are no exotic conversion experiences. There were never any terrible addictions, lifestyles or sins to repent. I have always been like the older brother in the Prodigal Son story. While my friends and classmates were out 'sewing their wild oats' and wasting their time and money on 'riotous living' I was at home, following a Christian lifestyle.

Most of the sanity, security and consistency of my life is because of the influence of my mother. While still a teen she began to pray for a Christian mate. And although my father had grown up in church (and was called into the ministry) he was not an obvious choice for a godly husband. However, through the goodness of God and the faithfulness of my mother, they were married and began a life together in Christ.

It was into this environment that I was born. My earliest memories include attending church, prayer meetings, youth groups and Bible studies. I never had a period of rebellion. I was blessed to always be a part of a Christian family and a church that provided discipleship opportunities.

My life was on a pretty set and stable course as I entered college. I was studying political science with the objective of perhaps going to law school, but to definitely enter political life. I was a member of the University Democrats. I even ran for office one time in Penn Township. I did not win, but my life plan was pretty well mapped out. That was until three things happened.

First of all, I was in the Student Center at Ball State studying one day. I had picked a second floor lounge that was usually pretty quiet. After studying for a while I went to a window that overlooked the entrance to the student center and a lawn on the campus. I looked out on a rainy fall scene and saw one female student who was just leaving the student center. The day seemed so gloomy and she looked very lonely. I was just starting to feel sad for her when I heard God speaking to me. "I love her," he said. I was unsure of all the ramifications of that encounter with God, but I interpreted it to mean that he loved all people and he wanted me to help reach them.

This was all well and good, except that I was sure that being called by God was in my imagination. As a child I had always thought that being a preacher would be a great thing. I even played church when I was young. Surely, God was not calling me. He always calls people to do things they do not like. I would like being a preacher, so this could not be a call.

The second thing that happened took place shortly after that first call. I was attending a series of special worship services with some members of my church youth group. The speaker was the coolest guy I had ever met. He made Christianity important, and fun. I was inspired and changed. I wanted to do what he was doing. But again, I had doubts. I thought that maybe God was calling me, but surely he would not call me to something that could actually be fun. Once again I dismissed God's call as my imagination or wishful thinking.

The third time I heard God speaking was even less dramatic than the first two instances. It was the same year that the first two 'visitations' occurred. I was about 20 years old at the time. I was in my bedroom on the farm playing my guitar and enjoying a time of prayer and worship when I was suddenly transported (spiritually) into the presence of God. He made it so clear to me that I belonged to him and that I needed to answer his call.

And that was it. I committed myself that day to serve God with all my life and for all my life. I have never been embarrassed or ashamed of my call, or my life choices. I have never doubted God's call, his care or his concern for me. He has been faithful, and I will be faithful.

No comments: