Monday, October 1, 2007

The Sunshine Boys

I recently re-watched one of my favorite movies, The Sunshine Boys. There are a lot of reasons that I love this film so much...
  • Neil Simon is a great writer. His story and script are perfect.
  • Walter Matthau and George Burns are terrific as the curmudgeonly old comedians with a love-hate relationship.
  • The scenes and settings have a ring of authenticity.
  • This movie has a little of everything. It is great.

But, the biggest reason I love this movie, and the reason that I will continue watching it until I die, is for the joy. Lewis and Clark, the comedy team in the film, bring me great joy. I laugh at their comedy, yes. And I find the dialogue between and about them hilarious. But I smile the first time I see George Burns on the screen. I giggle when Walter Matthau cannot remember the name of the potato chips for his audition. I hit the ceiling when Matthau discusses what words are funny. "Words with a 'k' in them are funny."

This movie reminds me that life is good. There should be joy. I should enjoy life.

Toward the end of the movie the Matthau character has a heart attack and a reconciliation of the two protagonists is in order. It is a poignant moment when the two men, partners for so many years and now enemies for a few, realize that they are one another's only friends. It is a bittersweet thing to realize that you have been alienating the only one who ever cared. There is laughter and joy, but there are some serious lessons as well.

Science now tells us that laughter can be helpful in recovering from illness or surgery. May I recommend the Sunshine Boys. They are true. They are honest. And they are funny.

No comments: