Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Why I Do It

I was involved in Christian ministry for several years before I truly evaluated what I did, what I was trying to accomplish and why I did it. In many ways it was a waste of time. All that I accomplished before this self-evaluation was good, and my work was effective. But I had no focus. There was no understanding or purpose behind what I was doing.

This all changed the first time I really read Ephesians 4. Now I had read this Scripture dozens, maybe hundreds of times, but when I read God's plan for his work in it, my life and work were brought into clear focus.

"He gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." (Ephesians 4.12-13 NKJV)

It is clear that God has a big picture mentality. You and I are part of his big picture. I get to be an evangelist and you get to be a pastor-teacher. Once we find our place in God's ministry-order we can begin to equip the saints. And then, once the saints- that is, Christian people- are equipped, they can begin doing the work of ministry. When the saints are doing ministry two things happen. First of all, new saints are added to the number. As we do our work for the glory of God, new men and women will come into the faith. Secondly, the edifying of the body of Christ serves to equip saints for ministry. That is, as we are equipped to do ministry, we realize that our ministry is to equip someone else.

All these thoughts were rambling around in my head when I came up with the three points that make up my philosophy of ministry. This is why I do it.
  1. Do evangelism. This is a hard one because I do not believe that I have the gift of evangelism. Each Christian is given specific gifts by God. My gifts do not include being and evangelist. However, that does not negate my responsibility to do the work of evangelism. I am called to take the message of the gospel to as many people in as many places as possible.
  2. Make disciples. Often Christians get the idea that the only work they are required to do is to make a convert. This is not the case. And I am sure that it is not so in my life. My job is not only to get an individual to make a declaration of faith in Christ. I am also responsible for helping disciple them. I am to encourage them to become more Christ-like.
  3. Develop Leaders. I am supposed to help increase the level of leadership in the church and the world, and the increase the effectiveness of the leaders I know. I am charged with equipping the saints so that they can be effective in ministry. Helping them become better leaders makes everyone (including myself) more effective.

No comments: