Friday, October 5, 2007

The Worst Movies Ever Made: A Mission Impossible

I keep a log of all the movies that I see. I have a number of reasons for doing this, but the most important is that there are a lot of movies that are not terrible, but they are also not memorable. I do not want to waste my time watching mediocre films more than once. It is completely possible that I can see a title at the video store, read the credits and the description of the film and not recognize it. However, when I get the movie home, I realize that I have seen it before. What a terrible waste of time.

My list of movies keeps me from repeating average movies, but it also reminds me of all the hours I've spent with horrible movies. I was reviewing this list of movies this week and made a short list of the really bad movies that I have seen in the last couple of years:
  • Vacancy
  • Blades of Glory
  • Number 23
  • The Messengers
  • American Dreamz
  • Roadhouse
  • The Descent
  • Benchwarmers

I know that I should have known better than to watch some of these. And I am sure that there were a lot more really bad movies that I could have seen. But really, aren't these bad enough? Here is what I have discovered: Bad movies are made only to make money. They generally fall into one of two categories. Either they are teen-age comedies like The Benchwarmers, or they are 'horror' movies like The Descent. The problem is that in this category the comedies aren't funny and the horror films aren't scary.

And this list does not include the worst movie of the last ten years. (It is probably the worst movie of all time.) I hate Mission: Impossible 2. I hate that movie so much that I could not bring myself to even think about Mission: Impossible 3. I continue to pray that there will never be a Mission: Impossible 4.

These really bad movies do nothing for our lives or our society. In fact, they make us worse than we should be. When we 'dumb-down' our entertainment, we 'dumb-down' ourselves and our culture. We all lose in this proposition. So, the next time someone invites you to a teen comedy or a horror flick, "just say 'no.'"

No comments: