Monday, March 2, 2009

Weekly Prayer Thought

As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When shall I come and appear before God? Psalm 42.1-2

The Bible is filled with poetic images. Many of the conventions of modern literature can be traced to the King James Version of the Bible. And there is a reason that the Bible- specifically the KJV- has endured so well. There is a reason that it has had this sort of influence. Aside from the life-giving nature of the content, the text is beautiful. There is one word-picture after another that cries out to be remembered.

In addition to being one such passage, today's Scripture teaches us about prayer as well. God is compared to water for the deer. At a time when an animal is desperate for water, the brook appears as a life preserving refreshment. That is exactly how God is for humans. We cannot survive without Him. He is a necessary part of our day to day living.

Naturally, this begs the question, "How do I maintain a connection to God, my life-source?" Prayer is the first key. But I am not merely advocating a milquetoast prayer that is half-serious. This is more than a "God is Great" kind of prayer. We must recognize that without God we cannot live. That means that our prayers ought to be filled with desperation for the presence, the blessing, the fullness of God.

It is easy for us to become complacent in our Christian lives. However, we must do everything we can to keep that from happening. The edge of your spirituality is understanding your deep and extreme need for God.

PRAYER: I lift up my voice and my life to you, Lord. I need you. I cannot survive without you. You have made me and I owe my life to you. Stay with me. Refresh me. Make me completely yours. Amen.

No comments: