Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Great Philosophers of Our Time

Some of the best pop-philosophy of our time comes from popular music. Well, maybe best is too broad an idea. In fact, it might be the better part of wisdom to simply acknowledge that there are songwriters who do dabble in philosophy. Music speaks to the soul and lyrics speak to the mind. The combination marries music to thought which is a very powerful thing.

I know that there is no end to philosophy. Likewise, there are innumerable songs that seek to make comment on the human experience. And although I am often critical of Christian music, I do find depth of meaning and purpose in much of it. 

Good music makes you feel. Great music makes you think about how and why you feel.

There is no way that I can do this topic justice. In fact, I am going to plan on making this an open-ended entry. I will periodically update or add to this entry as I discover new music, new philosophy, new ideas... you get the idea.

Here are my nominees for outstanding musical philosophy.
  • "I don't want to die in the hospital. Get me back outside." Conor Oberst
  • "Life goes on long after the thrill of livin' is gone." John Mellencamp
  • "You're so vain you probably think this song is about you." Carly Simon
  • "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." Kris Kristofferson

No comments: