Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday Again

It is a somewhat momentous day, for me anyway.
  • Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Christian season of Lent. Lent is the beginning of the time of preparation for memorializing the death, burial and resurrection of Easter. On Ash Wednesday we reflect on our lives, confess and repent of our sins and commit ourselves to live in a more holy way. We submit to the ashes as a reminder of the grief that our sins cause.
  • Two years ago, on Ash Wednesday, I began writing in this blog. It seems like a long time ago, but two years is sort of like a blink of the eye. I have been more regular and faithful than I thought I would be. I am not sure whether that is good or bad, but it is true.
  • Yesterday was my 365th entry in this blog. That means today's entry equals one leap year's worth of writing (at one entry each day). This is another significant milestone, to me anyway.

So, tomorrow marks the beginning of year three. What will that be like?

2 comments:

Matt & Dorcas Hallam said...

Congrats on staying at it for 2 years! I haven't been so faithful :-)

Taking Heart said...

Happy Ash Wenesday Blog Birthday to you. Here's to another year of blogging away!

My nephew (catholic school), Mark, came home from school the other day asking where the ashes were going to come from. His Mamma explained to her six year old son that they are the gray dirt left over after a bonfire where they burn the palms.

He said, "Well, the dincon (deacon) came to talk to us about that today. My sister-in-law asked Mark what he got out of the conversation.... Mark said that "The meaning of Ash Wednesday is to remind us all that we are going to die."

I got a chuckle out of this, and though you would as well.

Oh... and say a prayer for Mark... my curly headed freckle faced precious nephew.... he is having an MRI done to rule out a relapse of the neuro issue that almost killed him 2 years agao.

Thanks!