Monday, February 9, 2009

Weekly Prayer Thought

Men always ought to pray and not lose heart. Luke 18.1

Sometimes prayer seems like a waste of time. I just go through the motions and no one cares or notices. In fact, there are times when I am sure that I am praying only out of obedience. It seems that there is no relationship between God and myself, and my prayers are offered only because God commanded it. This is a sad state of affairs, but it is better than not praying at all.

Jesus encourages his followers to pray all the time. They should pray and not "lose heart" or be discouraged. Even when it seems pointless, we should keep on praying.

There are enemies of prayer. There are distractions, temptations, interruptions that will keep us from experiencing the fullness of a relationship with God. However, if we are careful to always pray, and to never lose heart, we will have a full and fruitful relationship with the Lord.

Jesus says later in this passage that those who persist in their prayers, regardless of the obstacles, will receive what they pray for. That is good news, especially when you are alone, frustrated and discouraged.

So today, no matter how frustrated and discouraged you may be, pray. No matter how many things there are trying to keep you from God, pray. No matter how busy you are with your family, your work, your life, pray. Pray always and do not lose heart.

PRAYER: I am very discouraged, Lord. It seems like you are not there, like you are not listening. My prayers go unanswered and my relationship with you seems to be withering. Strengthen me and my resolve this day. Give me consistency in my prayers and an attitude of persistence. In the name of Jesus I pray that. Amen.

No comments: