I have often been asked something like the following, "If God knows everything, then he should know what I want or need. Why should I have to pray?" Here are a few answers.
- You should pray because prayer is the thing that builds your relationship with God.
- You should pray because it is good for you to realize that you have needs. You can't do it all on your own, after all.
- You should pray because your prayer demonstrates your faith in and dependence on God's ability to answer your prayers.
- You should pray because it helps you to realize what your needs are.
- Prayer is also important because prayer will help you realize the extent of God's power.
Two more things about prayer: Be definite. Do not waste your time with bland generalities. Tell God exactly what your needs are. Be persistent. Don't give up just because you did not get the answer you wanted on the first day.
Lord, you are good and your mercy endures forever. We are your children and today we claim your goodness. Keep us in your care. Build us up as your sons and daughters. Make us the men and women that you want us to be. And most of all, teach us to pray. Amen.