Monday, January 26, 2009

Weekly Prayer Thought

Bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.  Luke 6.28

I was noticing the other day how grumpy I was. In fact, I was down right negative. I like to think of myself as a positive and hopeful person, but I was in some kind of rut. I could not think of anything good about anything, or anyone. People were mean. They were uncaring. They were egotistical. They were stupid. I was not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt. They were all bad in my book.

That is when I came across this passage. What conviction! No matter how bad people are; no matter how hopeless; no matter how annoying, I am to pray for them. Even if they hate me... still I am to pray for them.

But let me take this challenge- and it is a challenge- one step further. If we are to pray for others, even when we are not happy about it, we should pray that they would be happy. Pray that your enemies would be blessed. Pray for those you do not like. Pray for your boss. Pray for your teachers. Pray for everyone who treats you poorly. 

When you do this two things will happen. First of all, you will start to see a change in the person you are praying for. God will answer your prayers and people will become better. Secondly, your attitude will change. You will begin to feel the love of God toward others, even those you do not like.

Prayer: It is hard to love some people, Lord. It is even hard to pray for them. But I understand that you are bigger than my prejudices. You want to do a great work in me and in others. Begin to do that today. Bless those who I have problems with. Forgive me when I am hateful or bitter. Forgive me and my enemies and help us to be reconciled. Amen.