Monday, January 12, 2009

Weekly Prayer Thought

Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man. Luke 21.36

I just came through an unusual period in my life. (Maybe I'm still in it.) It is not necessarily spiritual laziness, but I would at least call it lethargy. I have kept up with my regular disciplines- Scripture reading, prayer, meditation, journaling- but there has not been a lot of pizazz in my walk with Christ. It has been a long time since I have had an "eureka" moment. You know what that means. A eureka moment happens when you receive some revolutionary new insight or revelation. It has been a long time since I have been to the proverbial mountaintop.

Although I am spiritually healthy, I would maybe describe my spiritual life, my relationship with God, as blah. That is why this passage is such a warning to me (and maybe to you too). Jesus is teaching his disciples- all of us- to always be on the alert. We must always be preparing and prepared for the work of God in our lives or the voice of God in our hearts.

There are several things that can cause us troubles here.
  • Sometimes we get distracted and lose our focus on the Lord.
  • At other times there are obstacles that keep us from a proper relationship with God.
  • There are always temptations that try to interfere and draw us away from Christ.
  • There are occasions when I am "too busy" to be bothered by God.
  • I have known people (and sometimes it happens to me) who simply get too discouraged to even think about Jesus.

Watch and pray. Be prepared. Do not be discouraged by temptation or evil. Stay the course. Focus on Jesus.

Prayer: Lord God, you are good to us, even when we are not watching. Help us to be more vigilant, more focused, more committed to you and your word to us. May we not be discouraged, but always do your will. Amen.

1 comment:

Paula said...

This blog has made me think about my own spiritual health. I have been in a self-imposed rut. I have allowed excuses to take the place of efforts.
Discouragement has often kept me from acting. I have been distracted and unfocused. It is time I turn to Jesus with all my heart. May we all look to Him. Heb 12:2"fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross,despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God....."