Monday, February 4, 2008

Weekly Prayer Thought

"Pray without ceasing." 1 Thessalonians 5.17

A few weeks ago I read a very interesting cartoon in the Sunday paper. I used to read Funky Winkerbean on a regular basis, but for the past several years I have only had the opportunity in the Sunday paper. In this particular strip, a young lady is looking through her mail for a CD that someone has promised to send her. She is disappointed that it has not arrived when her father offers some consoling words. He says that there are three promises that people never keep. They are: "The check is in the mail." "'I'll pray for you." And, "I'll send you a CD."

Let me encourage you to do two things this week. First of all, tell people that you will pray for them. It is encouraging to hear that you are remembered by someone in this way. Secondly, be sure to pray for those you tell that you will pray. Keep your word. Encourage people emotionally, and encourage them spiritually with your prayer.

Lord God, today I pray for every person who reads this message. I ask that you would encourage them. Bless them emotionally. Encourage them in their work, their family life and their social life. And God, help each of us to lift up in prayer all of those who are around us. Amen.

No comments: