Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Real World

A while back I wrote some thoughts on worshiping at McDonald's. (http://revdeweysworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/why-i-worship-at-mcdonalds.html ) Those who know me realize that I take this very seriously. I regularly spend an hour or more at McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King or some similar fast food establishment with my Bible and my journal. As a consequence, I have some great experiences. It is amazing the things that happen to me.

I meet a lot of people. In fact, sometimes a friendly manager will give me the employee discount, or a drink will be upsized on the house. I think it is because I am a regular and generally try to be positive to the staff, but it could be that God is showing me favor with those I contact.

I have also learned that there are "regulars" at these places. There are groups of retirees, for example, who spend several mornings each week shooting the breeze at McDonald's. I call these folks the Golden Arches Social Club. There are business people who regularly lunch at the same spot. I suppose they look at me as a regular too. Either way we always smile and nod to one another in recognition of our common regularity.

In the coming weeks I will be sharing some stories of people that I have met in McDonald's. Some of the stories are interesting, funny or sad. Some of them, however, are just plain weird. There are some unusual folks out there. All of these stories will illustrate one thing:

You never know who is paying attention.

I believe that it is always important to be on your guard. You must always be committed to being friendly, positive, helpful and generally scout-like. If you are not, it may come back to haunt you. If you are, you will never be sorry.

No comments: