Friday, December 31, 2010

Old Ways are Better?

There is nothing in the entertainment world that is more economical and fun than renting a video and ordering a pizza. This is one of the great pleasures of life for my family. Pizza is the greatest food and movies are the most fun. What a riot.

At Christmas time our family watches Christmas movies. We have some favorites that we watch every year. It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas Vacation, Holiday Inn and A Christmas Story, among others, all get an annual tour in our video player. It is one of our great family holiday traditions. But this year, there was a change in the custom.

A few weeks ago there was an ad in the paper for a special showing of White Christmas at the Riviera Theater in Three Rivers, Michigan. What a great thing. The Riviera is an old, downtown movie house on the main street of a small town. There are about 300 seats in the theater that has been lovingly restored. It is a beautiful place.

I had been wanting to see the theater anyway, but now they were going to be showing one of our annual Christmas films. BINGO! We have a winner. A classic film on the big screen is a dream come true.

So we went. It was a great time. Here are some observations.
  • Watching a movie with a crowd is way more fun than watching at home with just the family. There times that I was laughing out loud just because someone else thought something was funny. Everything was more enjoyable because there was a group response to the action on the screen.
  • Bing Crosby is creepy looking when his head is that big. His eyes are very blue, but there are wrinkles and make up that I have never been unable to see on my television at home. Additionally, Vera Ellen, who I have always thought was nice looking, is a little bit funny looking at that size as well.
  • When I watch movies at home, I get sleepy. In fact, I almost always fall asleep. There is an energy generated with a group of people that keeps me going, however. I have seen White Christmas at least once a year for 20+ years, and yet it help my interest this time as much as the first time I saw it.
So here is my verdict: Movies are more fun with a crowd in a theater. I will refuse to even argue this point.

No comments: