Monday, December 13, 2010

Bible Study 2011

I have begun my planning for Bible study and work for 2011. There are several components to my plan and I will write more about them in coming days, but here is the basic outline.
  • I will be continuing my devotional project of writing the Bible. During 2011 I will be be copying, from the New King James Version, several of the Psalms.
  • I will be reading The Message during 2011. I have committed myself to read the entire Bible each year until I die, or am physically or mentally unable to do so. For the past few years I have read a different version each year. During 2011 it will be Eugene Peterson's The Message.
  • I will be reading the Bible with special attention to Jesus' healings in the gospels. I will particularly be looking for how Jesus healed everyone and every disease.
  • I want to focus on the prayers that are recorded in the Bible.
  • A corollary to that will be giving special attention to how Jesus goes off by himself to pray, and sometimes does it all night long.
  • I want to look at songs and psalms in the Old Testament.
Additionally, there are a couple of phrases that I want to look at. "Be strong and have courage" appears throughout Deuteronomy and Joshua. This is speaking to me right now in a significant way. Secondly, I am interested in learning more about Jesus' question, "What do you want me to do for you?" (Mark 10.36, 51)

No comments: