Thursday, February 25, 2010

Problems I Have with the Church

People who know me will not be surprised that the church is a problem for me. I love the church with all my heart. After all, the church is the Bride of Christ, God's instrument to bring about the salvation of the world. I love being in church. I love worship. I love church people, church traditions and church language. But I have some problems with the church.

What follows are some reflections about what the church is and what it should be. Take them as you will. Add to them or argue with them. But do it in the spirit of Christian love.
  • The church needs to find new ways to expand its outreach. The old methods do not work to reach new people.
  • Expansion needs to be about reaching out to people, not asking people to come to us. There is too much competition for us to assume that people are going to continue to come to us. We need to learn to go to them.
  • The church needs to be about building people, not buildings, programs or celebrities. Our focus must be on others, not ourselves.
  • We need to move the church away from an emphasis on programs and attendance increases to building relationships.
  • The church needs to use its buildings and resources more effectively and efficiently. For many days each week our huge buildings, offices, classrooms and recreation areas are empty. This ought to be a sin.
  • The church ought to be about reconciling people to God and one another, rather than continuing to alienate the culture around us. For many people Christians are evil. This must change.
I know there are more things to work on. What would you add to the list?

2 comments:

Chad said...

I love this post Dewey. Love it!

Paula said...

the church should not be about finding fault in those around us, but sharing love and encouragement.
You mentioned out church building being unused most of the time; I believe it IS a sin. What does James say; "Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do [it], to him it is sin." We need to get started ! Pray that God will show us what we need to do and then act !