What follows are some reflections about what the church is and what it should be. Take them as you will. Add to them or argue with them. But do it in the spirit of Christian love.
- The church needs to find new ways to expand its outreach. The old methods do not work to reach new people.
- Expansion needs to be about reaching out to people, not asking people to come to us. There is too much competition for us to assume that people are going to continue to come to us. We need to learn to go to them.
- The church needs to be about building people, not buildings, programs or celebrities. Our focus must be on others, not ourselves.
- We need to move the church away from an emphasis on programs and attendance increases to building relationships.
- The church needs to use its buildings and resources more effectively and efficiently. For many days each week our huge buildings, offices, classrooms and recreation areas are empty. This ought to be a sin.
- The church ought to be about reconciling people to God and one another, rather than continuing to alienate the culture around us. For many people Christians are evil. This must change.
I know there are more things to work on. What would you add to the list?