Monday, January 16, 2012

Favorite Books: 2011

I used to make a list of my ten favorite books of the year. For the past few years, because of various things happening in my life, there has not been as much time for reading. Therefore, I could not find ten "best" or "favorite" books. I read a lot more than 10 books in these years (including 2011) but too many were unmemorable, or merely filler books.

So this year I am again offering my favorite books. These are not the best books of the year, but the ones that I enjoyed the most. That means that they made me think or feel in a new or exciting way. Most of these books were not written or released this year, but I read them for the very first time. Let me know what you think of my list. What would you add? What would you take off?

  • "The Simple Faith of Mr Rogers" by Amy Hollingsworth
  • "The Confession" by John Grisham
  • "The Woman Who Wouldn't" by Gene Wilder
  • "An Object of Beauty" by Steve Martin
  • "Love Wins" by Rob Bell
  • "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg
  • "Sold" by Patricia McCormick
  • "CS Lewis, My Godfather" by Laurence Harwood
One more thing:

I was given a Kindle for my birthday in March. I will write soon about what I see as the shortcomings to electronic reading, but for now suffice it to say that I love reading digitally. In fact, two of the books on my list of favorites were on my ereader. My reading habits are changing, and I don't foresee them ever changing back.

No comments: