Sunday, September 4, 2011

Some Pet Peeves

I have held my tongue for long enough. I can't take it anymore. There are some things that are driving me crazy. People (and I am sure that I can be included in this) say things that they do not even think about. It is really starting to get on my nerves.

The other day, as I was leaving a store, the clerk said to me, "Have a good one." I am sure that he meant well, but what did he mean? I got out of the store and wondered aloud, "A good what?" Did he want me to have a good dinner, a good cry, or a good bottle of one?

And what about this one, "You're fine." This is usually a response to "Excuse me," or "I'm sorry." You know, you bump into someone- and I mean that you make actual, inadvertent, physical contact- at the supermarket and so you excuse yourself. The current, popular response is, "You're fine." I just want to know, how do you know if I'm fine or not. I may be sick, worried, anxious, depressed or exhausted. I might not be fine. I just bumped you.

One more, "It's the same difference." What does that mean? If it is the same it is not different. If it is different, it definitely is not the same. This seems to be a perfect example of an oxymoron.

And while I am on the subject of things that people say that also drive me crazy, how about the trite, Christian cliches that are so popular? If you don't know what I am talking about, just remember to never say any of the following:
  • Let go and let God.
  • Wise men still seek him.
  • Jesus is the reason for the season.

No comments: