Saturday, March 13, 2010

Seasons of Reflection

I think that it is important for every human to spend some time reflecting on their lives. I try to regularly think about who I am, what I do, what I believe and what my priorities are. I believe that Socrates was right when he said that "the unexamined life is not worth living." People who let life happen to them do not live. They exist. A meaningful life is one that is purposeful and planned. I intend to live my life in just that sort of way.

It is great that the year is automatically organized into seasons of reflection. There are times of the year that lend themselves to just this sort of examination. Let this be an encouragement for you to spend some time in prayer, meditation, reflection and contemplation.
  • New Year's. The new year's holiday is a time for resolutions and life change. Think about your resolutions and use them to improve your life. Be careful to make realistic and important resolutions.
  • Lent. This is the annual season in which Christians focus on denying their own desires in favor of serving God. We repent. We sacrifice. We strive to please God and be more holy.
  • Autumn. This is almost like a do-over for New Year's. The school year begins, and even if you are not in school, there is a natural rhythm that calls out for new commitment to doing your best and being excellent.
  • Birthday. Birthdays lead to crises. No one seems to want to turn 30 or 40 or 50. But we can, and should, use every birthday to make ourselves better, more informed, more holy, more educated, more healthy, more...
Reflect when you can.

Can you think of other times that call out for serious introspection and self improvement?

No comments: