Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lenten Prayers I

During Lent we have been focusing on a time of self-reflection and repentance. Let the following prayer help you in your meditations, reflections and prayers.

O Lord,
When I think about your greatness, your holiness,
I am reminded of all the ways that I am unholy.
I sin against you regularly.
I come short of your standards, your expectations for me.
I miss the mark in what I think, what I say, and what I do.
There are things that I know I should do-
reading the Bible, praying, being kind and loving to others-
That I do not do.
Forgive me when I fail to do what I know I should do.
But I also have sinned by the things that I do.
I have violated your Word and your way over and over again.
I have been jealous.
I have envied.
I have lied.
I have cheated.
I have stolen.
Lord, there is not much good about me.
My thoughts are often centered on sin.
I want to succumb to temptation.
My willpower is low.
I feel worthless and hopeless.
Forgive me when I knowingly violate your will.
Forgive me when I find that I have already sinned.
Forgive me when I feel self-assured and independent.
Remind me that I always need you.
Remind me to turn to you, to rely on you
And to expect you.
Forgive me and build my resistance to temptation.
Keep me from wandering from your way.
I pray this now- and always- in Jesus' name.
Amen

No comments: