Saturday, April 26, 2008

Things I'm Learning

This has not been a banner season of life for my family. At Christmas time we had a financial problem- nothing any more serious than everyone else is dealing with. Then there was the requisite "we have a teenager in the house" crises that every family deals with. Then just recently we had a flood in our basement. There were 6-8 inches of water everywhere. And last week, my wife had major surgery and the results of pathology will not be available for a few days yet.

Although we are going through a rough patch, we are learning a lot.
  • If my purpose in life is train leaders, and it is, then I should be willing to let others lead. I am learning to delegate and to let others take responsibility for tasks, work and ministry.
  • I (read that as, everyone) need to be gracious when receiving help and ministry from others. I am used to being the one who gives, serves, ministers, but sometimes it is appropriate to receive ministry.
  • Others are called to minister. Sometimes they are called to minister to me and my family. I should learn- and I am trying- to let others serve and minister.
  • I, like you, am called by God to humility. There is no quicker way to learn to be humble than to let someone help you. What a wake-up when you are faced with your own lack of self-sufficiency.
  • I am trying to learn to not be judgmental. Although people have their own agendas and motivations, I need to allow them to deal with their own stuff. I need to not assume that someone is serving me just so I will "owe them" in the future.
  • I am learning to ask for help when I need it. There is something in me that keeps me from asking others for help. I want to solve my own problems. So, if I haven't called you yet, your turn is coming.

1 comment:

Paula said...

This post brings a tear to my eye. It is so true, of all of us.We have that independent nature that says we should NOT need others to help us.It is not what God wants of us. We should accept the fact that we do need others and accept their help. What is most important though is to admit we are failures if we try to accomplish anything on our own.
2 Corinthians 12:9. "9 But He said to me, "My grace is enough for you. When you are weak, My power is made perfect in you." So I am very happy to brag about my weaknesses. Then Christ's power can live in me."