Sunday, April 27, 2008

Prayer of the Week

Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29.12-13

Here is a promise and a proclamation. We humans are so interested in hearing and receiving God's promises that we miss the rest of it. But in these verses we get both. First the promise. God promises that he is available. Even though sometimes it seems that my prayers are useless and that no one can hear. When I think that praying is a waste of time, I can rejoice in the promise that God wants to hear my prayers. He is available. He wants to be found by me. This is great news. His promise is that when I pray, he hears.

The command is this; when I may be discouraged with my prayers and my relationship with God, I need to continue nonetheless. I need to seek God with all my heart. I need to search with all my strength. I need to pray until I reach him. When I cannot find God, could it be that I have not persevered in the search? Is it possible that I have given up too soon? You and I need to be persistent with our prayers. God will hear.

PRAYER: How soon we want to give up and throw in the towel, Lord. Every little distraction seems to be an insurmountable obstacle. But you have given us this great promise. Teach me to search for you with all my heart. Give me the patience and the persistence to seek you until I find you. In the name of Christ I pray. Amen.

No comments: