Monday, September 24, 2007

One More Thing About Uganda

There is one more thing that I would like to add about my trip to Uganda. I learned to not take the USA for granted. Although our country has it's share of problems, it is still a great place to live. The thing that brought this home to me most clearly was the security in Uganda. Although I always felt safe, heavily-armed security guards are visible everywhere. Many businesses, even in small towns, employ uniformed guards, often with rifles, to provide security for their stores. Although I am sure this was intended to provide a measure of comfort to the customers and staff of these businesses, it had just the opposite affect on me. I was nervous, a lot.

I was growing accustomed to this when we left to go home. During our 24 hour layover in Cairo, however, it got worse. I was not exactly impressed with the security system in the Cairo airport. Everything seemed at once too relaxed and too chaotic. But when we left the airport, one of the first things I noticed was the Cairo police officers that seemed to be everywhere outside the airport terminal. They were carrying automatic rifles. It is truly a different world.

No comments: