Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Few Things I Learned in Uganda

You may be aware that I recently took a teaching/mission trip to Uganda. I worked with a team from South Indiana to help train pastors in Uganda. We had a great time and I learned some lessons. Here is a little bit of what I learned.
  1. There are deeply committed Christians all over the world. Although we came from vastly different cultures and languages, we were united in our love for Christ.
  2. Personal happiness is not equal to having money. I saw abject poverty all over Uganda. In fact, at times I became downright depressed at the poor conditions I saw. Inside plumbing is a luxury that few people enjoy. Electricity is non-existent in most homes. These people live on dirt floors. And yet, they are extremely happy.
  3. I learned that patience is a virtue (one that often does not exist is the USA). Waiting 45 minutes for a grilled cheese sandwich in a restaurant teaches you that speed is not always the most important thing.
  4. I learned that it is possible to be exceedingly kind, even to strangers and foreigners. Everywhere I went it was obvious that I was from somewhere else. And everywhere I went I felt safe, welcomed and befriended. Kindness was something that I saw every day, and that I need to incorporate at home.

Of course, I learned a lot more than these few things. If you would like to know more about my trip, you can see some pictures and read our team journal at http://ugandabibleacademy.blogspot.com/. I do not know if I will go back, but I know that I will never forget this experience and I will never be the same.

No comments: