Thursday, September 20, 2007

Life in 3-D

My life is not boring. I do not sit around waiting for things to happen. (In fact, there is too little sitting around in my life. There is always something to do.) As I look around me, however, I see a lot of people who live very lifeless, vanilla lives. This should not be.

I believe that every moment of every day in every life should be lived with complete zest and gusto. That television commercial from my childhood said that 'you only go around once in life.' How true. We should be intentional in our decisions and actions. We should make life the most and the best that it can be.

One of my philosophies of life- I may have too many philosophies- is to always have fun. If I find myself in the middle of an activity that proves to be dull, it is my responsibility to either stop it, or to find a way to make it fun. Life is too short. Carpe Diem. Live for the day. Make a difference.

So, here are some suggestions, some ways to live life more fully and to be more fulfilled. I like to think of this as life in 3-D.
  1. Discover who you were meant to be. Many people are unhappy in life because they have no sense of purpose or direction. You might be drifting from one job to another, one experience to the next. God has given everyone a specific purpose in life. Find what your purpose is and fulfill it. Discover your 'calling' and answer.
  2. Develop the gifts and talents that you have been given. Interests come from a number of places. Everyone has them. Be sure to use the gifts that you have. Learn what hobbies and activities create energy in your life. Focus on those things. Do those things. God gave everyone their own particular gift combination. Your gifts, interests and talents are to be used. Use them.
  3. Deploy and do the work that you were created to do. You will find that fulfillment comes when you are actively pursuing those things that you are best suited to do. When you go and do the work that you were meant to do life will get better.

No comments: