Monday, May 18, 2009

Weekly Prayer Thought

Then Moses said, “I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn.” Exodus 3.3

I came across an interesting thought the other day. It is not a new thought, not to me anyway. But it was important enough that I noticed it.

Prayer is listening to God so that he can change us, not talking so that we can change him.

I know, it's very simple. But too often it is not the way that I approach prayer. I use prayer as a sounding board. I tend to us God as a cosmic-analyst who helps me process my complaints, aches and pains. I talk and talk and bellyache and talk some more. And when I am done I trust that God will solve all my problems. That makes me feel better.

Don't get me wrong. I am an advocate for telling God your problems. I believe that we should take our concerns and petitions to the Lord. However, we should never spend so much time talking to God, that we are unable to listen to him. Moses is a perfect example of this. He had a conversation with God. Moses told the Lord all the reasons why he was unable to lead the people out of Egypt, and yet, Moses was changed by the encounter.

We should be changed when we pray. We should listen to God and allow his word to change us, to shape us. Our opinions, attitudes and actions should all be shaped by what happens in our prayer time. The mark of true prayer is that God will change you, not that you will change God.

If God has not changed you lately, it probably time to evaluate your prayer life. Could it be that you are not praying enough? Are you not praying at all? Or, is your prayer time filled with your own agenda, with little attention given to God's will for your life. Listen next time you pray.

Prayer: Speak to me and change me today, o Lord..............................Amen.

No comments: