Monday, October 6, 2008

Weekly Prayer Thought

Show me Your ways, O LORD;
Teach me Your paths.
Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
For You are the God of my salvation;
On You I wait all the day.
Psalm 25.4-5

Sometimes I get the feeling that my prayers are ineffective and dull. I think that I am in a rut and praying the same things over and over again. This becomes too obvious on the occasions when I review what I have written in my Prayer Journal. I see the same petitions over and over again. I get embarrassed at the simple language that I use. I wonder if God will even take the time to listen to me.

That is when I rejoice over a passage like this one. There are not a lot flowery words or important requests. No one's life seems to be in jeopardy. This is a simple prayer. It comes from a place of humility in the heart of the one who is praying. Remember, humility is an attitude that we all need to cultivate in our prayer lives.

I am a very simple person. I do not know things unless someone tells me. I do not, cannot, will not know the ways of God unless he shows them to me. I want to know God's will. I long to do what God desires. I just need to know it. Like the Psalmist, I am willing to wait all day, but I need to hear from the Lord.

PRAYER: Show me your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; on you I wait all the day. Amen.

No comments: