Monday, June 2, 2008

Weekly Prayer Thought

Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith. 2 Thessalonians 3.1-2

It is often said that the last thing you hear is what you will remember. Some people claim that they save the best for last. When I attend a concert, the weaker singers and groups are always early in the lineup. The best and most popular groups are always last. And so, Paul leaves us with a final thought that is really the most important thing to remember. PRAY!

Specifically, we are enjoined to pray for Paul and other servants of the gospel. We are to lift up in prayer those who are missionaries, pastors, leaders, evangelists. Pray that the gospel will go forward and that our leaders will not be discouraged.

Here is a confession. I often get disgusted by the "ministers" that I see on television. I get upset about their loose theology, their flamboyant lifestyles and theatrical presentations. I sometimes talk bad about them. But now I know better. It is my job to be praying for those who are most visible. I need to pray for the leaders of my church, my denomination, and the church at large whether I agree with them or not. They have enough trouble without having to deal with any dissension that I might cause or exaggerate.

PRAYER: Forgive me, O Lord, every time I think or speak poorly of the leaders that you have placed in spiritual authority in my life. Bless them. Give them wisdom. Help them to follow you closely so that they can lead me effectively. In the name of Christ I pray. Amen.

No comments: