Thursday, April 19, 2007

The 4 I's

Recently I wrote here about the importance of spending time with teens. Although that entry was specifically designed to encourage ministry with students, it seemed to me that I should say some things about how to spend time with people, any people. Here are the four "I's" that can give you some help in getting to know anyone and preparing to minister to them.

I. Introduce Yourself. This is always the place to start. let people know who you are and where you are from.
“I am Dewey Miller from the Howe Pretty Prairie United Methodist Church. We are out meeting people today so that we can get to know you better and to see if there is some way that we can serve you.”

When you introduce yourself, do the following.

  • Be as friendly as you can be.
  • Smile
  • Do not be threatening or judgmental.

II. Inquire. People love to talk about themselves. So ask questions, lots of questions.
“One of the things that we are trying to do is serve our neighbors. Is there anything that we can do for you? Do you need anything? Could I pray for you? What are your interests? Tell me about your family. Tell me about your job or school.” The list of questions could go on forever.

When you inquire about others, be sure that the following things are true.

  • Your attitude should be to serve others. We want to give to them. We are not concerned about what they can do for us.
  • Ask a lot of questions and listen. What people say to you is more important than what you say to them.
  • Keep accurate records on your inquiry cards. This will help us to know how we can follow-up most effectively.


III. Invite. Have a goal in mind in your conversation.
“We would like to invite you to attend worship with us. We meet every Sunday in Howe at 9am and at Pretty Prairie at 1030am. It would be great to have you. Could we pick you up next Sunday?” Every conversation does not have to be an invitation to church, or to accept Christ, but every conversation should go somewhere. Know where you want it to go, or you won't know when you get there.

  • We are inviting people to church, but that is not the purpose of our visit.
  • Encourage those who attend another church. Do not try to convince them to come to our church.

Leave an invitation card whether someone is home or not.

IV. Intercede. Do not be afraid to pray for anyone and everyone. And do not be afraid to pray for them on the spot.
“Would it be alright if I pray for you right now? I want you to know that I care about you and your needs. I will be praying for you all week.”

  • You may be uncomfortable praying for people in person. Do it anyway, if you can. If not, promise them that you will pray.
  • Pray before you leave the door, whether anyone opens or not.

No comments: