Saturday, October 9, 2010

Coincidence?

The great philosopher, Yogi Berra, once said, "It's like deja-vu all over again." But remember, he also said, "It ain't over until it's over." He could coin a phrase, but he was not the brightest bulb in the marquee.

I am an opponent of the concept of coincidence. I do not believe that it exists. I know that there is a long history and anecdotal stories about it, but I am not a believer. Coincidence, kismet, fate, deja-vu, they have all been invented by people to comfort us when things seem "weird."

Before you get too worked up, you should know that I am not a fatalist. I do not believe that things just are. Things do not just happen to me. I have some input in my reality. I am able to direct things. I can make decisions. I have free will. I reject the notions of predestination, election and reprobation. I do not believe that I am just a helpless pawn in the world.

But on the other hand, I do not accept the idea of happy accidents. When someone thinks that things have just worked out, I do not believe it. So what is it? What do I believe? (Get ready. I am going to get religious.)

I believe that God is in charge of everything that happens. There are no accidents or coincidences. God does things. Often those things seem coincidental, but they are not. God has done it. I can see this on an almost daily basis. Today was a perfect example. It is no accident that I was home this evening. God knows what he is doing.

No comments: