Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Times, They are a Ch-ch-changin'

I realized an interesting thing a few months ago. I have changed a lot. I am not the same person that I was even two or three years ago. My priorities are different. What I do with my time is different. My values, politics and even my faith are different.

There are a lot of reasons for these changes.
  • I continue to change because I am constantly reading, studying, traveling, growing. I do not want to be stagnant. I want to experience new things. All those factors cause me to change.
  • I continue to change because I am always evaluating my life, actions and decisions. I want to make sure I am on the best course- the right course. There are constant adjustments to be made.
  • I continue to change because the people around me change. There are different people all the time, and the people who have been here for a long time are also dynamic, changing people.
  • I continue to change because of my Christian faith. The gospel calls me to grow in faith, to become more like Christ all the time. With faith as a priority, and in every attempt to live God's way, I change
The reason that this has become so important to me is because there are many people who never change. Bruce Sprinsteen sang about these people in his song "Glory Days." Some people are always living in the past. Do an experiment: Get out your high school yearbook. How many people wrote "Don't ever change"? Some people put a premium on staying the same.

Now there are people who do not know what to do with me because I have changed. I say, "Oops!" I will continue to grow, develop and change. I want tomorrow to be better, deeper and fuller than today. I want to change, to become more of the person that I am intended to be. I want to grow. Every day.

You see, people change and change is good.

No comments: