Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekly Prayer Thought

Strive together with me in prayers to God for me, that I may be delivered from those in Judea who do not believe, and that my service for Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints, that I may come to you with joy by the will of God, and may be refreshed together with you. Romans 15.30-32

One area of prayer that we often overlook, or take for granted, is in the area of prayer for ourselves and our own needs. Paul, in this passage, makes an impassioned plea for those who love him to be praying for him. There are two problems with this for we humans. To begin with, we try to figure out our problems and devise solutions on our own. We want to be independent and not bother God with our troubles. My prayer list stays filled with the needs of others, but often lacks my own prayer concerns.

Secondly, since we want to solve our problems ourselves, that means that we often do not want to trouble anyone else with our issues. We don't want to appear "weak" or "needy." But we should always solicit prayers for ourselves, particularly as we face needs and weaknesses. After all, we are all basically weak and needy people.

One more thing: Be praying for your leaders. Pastors, Bishops, Missionaries, Sunday school teachers, Bible study leaders are all people who need your prayer support. They may never ask you, but they need your prayer. Not only that, in a very real sense, your spiritual health is dependent on your prayers for these individuals. Pray that they will be spiritually safe and strong so that they will be able to lead you to safety and strength.

Prayer: Help me to get over myself, Lord. I need your help. Strengthen me. Build me up so that I can more effectively and fully serve you. Give me the openness to share my concerns with others so that they can pray for me as well. Amen.

 

No comments: