Tuesday, April 21, 2009

No Time

There are thousands of demands on a person's time. I am no exception. I have to do my job, care for my family, nurture my relationship with my wife, keep up with the news, take care of my spirit, maintain community activities, fulfill personal commitments, pay my bills, spend time with my extended family. All of these things consume a certain amount of time.

I am not complaining about any of this. They are all important and necessary aspects of life, but there are things that I miss out on. There are decisions that must be made that I believe effect the quality of my life. For the most part, my love for music is not lost in this exchange. Music and be always present. There is a radio in the car. I have an Mp3 player. There is always background music. Always.

But there are other things that I feel I am missing out on.
  • I miss reading books. Each day I have to make choices about reading. Unfortunately I cannot read everything that I want to. Some things get left out. For example, the daily newspaper seems essential to me, while a classic novel, although wonderful, get pushed aside.
  • I miss seeing more movies. Sometimes I find myself selecting a video based on how short it is. If it is too long I cannot afford the time to watch it. I am afraid that I will end up only seeing less than stellar films in the trade-off.
  • I miss relaxation. Relaxing takes time. Time is at a premium. I need more of both.

I am sure that I could think of more things I miss, and I am sure that I am not the only one who is caught in the throes of despair at the lack of time. I long for leisure. I long for time.

No comments: