Monday, August 25, 2008

Weekly Prayer Thought

But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is.
Mark 13.32-33

When I was younger (much younger), I was a Cub Scout. I learned and did a lot of great stuff while a scout. I learned to be "square and obey the law of the pack." I found out what a Den Mother was. I was a Bobcat, a Wolf, a Bear and a Webelo. I realized that I was always supposed to do "my duty to God and my country." Those words and principles were, and still are, grand. But the most important thing I learned in scouting is to be prepared.

It seems like a cliche, but it is perfectly great advice and is the core of Jesus' teaching in this passage from Mark 13. Be prepared. You never know what might happen. You should always be praying because you never know when Jesus will come. Pray because you never can tell when evil will attack. Pray, the future is risky and God is your best insurance policy.

My Uncle Howard, a pastor, used to say, "I'm against going to movies or card games. I never knew anyone who got saved at either place." I think that Uncle Howard took that to an unnecessary extreme, but his point was the same as Jesus' was. Do not fritter away your time. There is not enough leisure to waste. Spend your time and energy with the Lord and focus on his work. This is a great lesson for all of us.

PRAYER: I want to pay attention, Lord. I want to be prepared for your work in my life, in my church, in my community and in the world. Help me to focus. Help me to always watch and pray. Amen.

No comments: