Thursday, July 19, 2007

Things I've Learned

If you know me, or have followed what I have written here over the past couple of weeks, you know that I am suffering from Bell's Palsy. Although my symptoms seem to be lessening, my face is still very irritating to me. I am getting more used to wearing the patch on my eye, but driving is still next to impossible and daily tasks have become monumental feats.

But I have learned some things.
  • What other people think of me is not very important. I think that this has always been a value in my life, but with a face that does not work it has become very apparent that people (all people) tend to judge. Unfortunately, our judging is often based on physical appearance. I am learning that the feelings of others have no effect on my self-image.
  • What God thinks of me is important. He loves me. He made me. God's will for my life is much more important than anyone else's agenda for my life.
  • What I think of myself is important. I do not have to measure up to any one's idea of good, or beautiful, or worthy. I am me. I look how I look. I am what God made me.
  • I have learned to let other people take care of some things that I have been used to doing. This has been very difficult. I am a pretty independent person. I do things for myself and solve my own problems. But in the last 10 days I have driven myself about five miles in my car. I was scared to death. I cannot see well enough to drive. Someone else is chauffeuring me everywhere I go. No matter how I try, I cannot do everything. I am learning to trust God and others.
  • There is always someone else with more and bigger problems than I have. I believe this is true for every person at all times. I am a very blessed person. Although I have difficulties, it could be worse.

No comments: