Friday, July 13, 2007

More personal thoughts

Another week, another round of problems. Or at least, so it seems. On Monday morning I woke up feeling funny. What that really means is that the left side of my face felt numb. I thought little of it until I saw the doctor on Monday afternoon. I had an appointment to prepare for my Uganda trip so it was very convenient.

The Doctor told my that I either had Bell's Palsy, or I had had a minor stroke. Of course I knew nothing about either one, so I was voting for Palsy. He gave me two prescriptions and scheduled me for a CT Scan to rule out the stroke.

On Tuesday I had the CT Scan. It was not a stroke. However, my face was much worse. My left eye was not blinking at all. This led it to be very dry and irritated. I lost more control of my mouth as well. On seeing the doctor in the afternoon, he gave me an injection of steroids, an additional prescription, and changed one of the prescriptions that I had.

For the last two days I have done very little. Eating and drinking are very difficult as my mouth is hard to control. I am wearing an eye patch most of the time. The children at church think that the faces that I am making are very funny.

I had a follow-up visit with the doctor this morning. I may have Lyme disease (I don't think so, although this can be a cause for Bell's Palsy). I am to be tested for that next week in addition to an MRI for some part of my brain. So far, this problem is just an inconvenient nuisance. Keep me and my patience in your prayers.

No comments: