Saturday, June 9, 2007

Music is Medicine

A few years back there were several studies released about the effects of various activities on one's health and the healing process. For example, we learned that laughter really is good medicine. People in hospitals who watched I Love Lucy got well more quickly than those who did not. We learned later that it could be scientifically demonstrated that people who prayed and were prayed for progressed better than those who were without prayer.

Now, I have not study, no statistics to support what I am about to claim. I cannot verify this in my own life, or the life of others. I have read no articles, seen no reports or heard claims to corroborate this assertion. Nonetheless, I believe that music makes you feel better.

I know that there are styles of music to fit every mood, activity and emotion. But I also believe that, if given the chance, music can lift your spirits, teach you a lesson and accompany the most significant events in your life.

There is nothing like listening to the Beach Boys with your windows down while you drive with your windows down on a warm summer's evening. Try George Jones when everything is going wrong in your life. Glenn Miller will get your toes tapping. Frank Sinatra can make anyone feel a little bit 'cooler'. Josh Garrels makes me smile. Sufjan Stevens makes me feel smart and silly all at the same time.

Every human has an internal soundtrack. I believe that God put it there. We are geared for listening to music. It just makes us feel better.

I know that everyone has their own preferred style(s) of music. We get kind of snobbish about it, in fact. (My music is better than your music.) In reality, however, the kind of music you listen to is less important than the fact that you do listen. Listen now. Listen often. Listen loud. Listen quiet.

Here are some generic tips for listening to music.
  • Listen to music all the time. You will find that your attitude will improve.
  • Listen to different types of music. You will find that the music you hate is probably not that bad after all.
  • Listen to music from different eras. The music your parents enjoyed is probably better than you imagine.
  • Get an mp3 player. Take music everywhere you go.
  • Pay attention to the background music at your favorite restaurant, the mall, your doctor's office. You might be surprised.
  • Play music games. Challenge your friends to name a tune, remember a composer or performer.
  • Sing. Sing. Sing.
  • Learn to play an instrument. Share the joy of making music.
  • Write a song. Creating music is sometimes more fun than listening.
  • Buy a kazoo. You can take it anywhere and make music on the go.

No comments: