Monday, May 14, 2007

Why I Write My Prayers

Many of you who are reading this know that I often write my prayers. In fact, I try to make it a regular, if not daily, habit. My procedure goes as follows:
  1. I read my Scripture passages for the day. This year I am following the reading schedule that we are doing together as a congregation. I am staying a little bit ahead, and I am doing some reading for sermon preparation. Otherwise, I am reading the same things as you each day.
  2. I then read a short passage (5-10 pages) from a devotional book. Right now I am reading a collection of pastoral prayers for worship.
  3. When I have finished this reading, I open my spiral notebook and fill my page for the day. More about what and why I write coming up.
  4. I then work on Scripture memorization, other prayers, etc.
  5. Finally, I read a chapter from a book that will help me professionally. Currently I am reading a book called Great Preaching. (I may not be able to do it, but I can sure read about it.)

This is a daily ritual for me. There is no question in my mind or heart that this discipline makes a great difference in my personal spiritual life. But, why do I write my prayers?

  • I write my prayers because it gives me a record of my relationship with God. I can look back at my dated petitions and answers to prayer. I can see when I have struggled, and how God has answered my prayers.
  • I write my prayers because it is a great discipline. I date each page in my notebook. By doing this I know when I have been faithful and when I have not. Although I do not write all my prayers, and I do not write every day, I know that I am in spiritual trouble when I miss several days in a row.
  • I write my prayers because it gives me time to hear God. I write more slowly than I talk. When I write I give God my prayers and he sometimes speaks to me before I am finished.
  • I write my prayers because doing so opens up new avenues of prayer, praise, worship and repentance. My prayer may start on paper, but it often ends sometime later in intimate moments with my Lord.
  • I write my prayers because it gives me balance. I can see if all my prayers are self-centered petitions. I can then make adjustments so that my relationship with Jesus will flourish.
  • I write my prayers because it is a testimony to my family. People around me can see that prayer is important to me because they can actually see me doing it.

I do not believe that writing is the only way to pray. I do believe that it is helpful for me. Maybe it can be helpful for you as well.

No comments: